Clark County is named for George Rogers Clark, who was a general who defeated the Shawnee Indians in a battle near Springfield.
Created: December 26, 1817
Springfield 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Springfield
Location: 101 South Limestone Street / West Columbia Street
Built: 1922 – 1924
Architect: William K Schilling.
Contractor: William K Schilling
Description: The building faces east and is a three story limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front has an extended porch with four high columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a round dome with copper top. On the west side of the building is the high modern County Office Building.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Ambler & Fisher and built by Christie & Stewart in 1820 to 1828. The second courthouse was designed by Thomas J Tolan & Son of Fort Wayne, Indiana and the contractor was Nathaniel Cregar in 1881. The building was damaged by fire in 1918. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $115,000 and parts of the exterior walls were saved from the 1918 fire and were reconstructed.
N – Champaign County
E – Madison County
Photos taken 2011 and 2018