Champaign County

US States / O-U / Ohio / Champaign County
Champaign

Champaign County is named for the French word meaning “plain” in describing the area.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Logan County and Union County

E – Union County and Madison County

S – Clark County

W – Miami County and Shelby County

 

Created:  March 1, 1805                         Map of Ohio highlighting Champaign County

County Seat:

Springfield  1805 – 1807

Urbana       1807 – present

 

County Courthouse – Urbana 

 

Location:  200 North Main Street / West Court Street

Built:  1954 – 1956

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Philip T Partridge

Contractor:  Knowlton, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Urbana. The east front has four high granite stone dividers with recessed entrance and windows. The center section projects from the main building. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Court of Common Pleas and County Court of Common Pleas – Juvenile and Probate. 

 

See:  Champaign County in Illinois is named after the County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1805 and Springfield was selected as the county seat. The courts met in the home of George Fithian. In 1807, the county seat was moved to Urbana. The first courthouse was a log house built in 1807, which was used as a hospital during the War of 1812 and the court was removed to the upper story of the county jail. This arrangement continued until 1817 when the second courthouse, a two story brick structure was built from 1814 to 1817. The third courthouse was also a two story brick structure designed by Hall and Sheldon and built in 1837 to 1839 at the corner of North Main Street and East Court Street. The courthouse was remodeled in 1880 as the fourth courthouse using the plans of the courthouse in Hillsboro, Highland County right down to the new classical portico with Ionic columns and belltower. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on January 20, 1948. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1954 to 1956 at a cost of more than $650,000.

 

See:  Ohio Court of Appeals – Dayton ( 2nd Appellate District )

 

 

1714t11

County Courthouse – Urbana

 

 

1715t11

 

 

1716t11

Photos taken 2011