Belmont County is the French words “belle monte” meaning “beautiful mountain”.
Created: September 7, 1801
Pultney 1801 – 1805
St. Clairsville 1805 – present
County Courthouse – St. Clairsville
Location: 101 West Main Street / North Market Street
Built: 1885 – 1888
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland
Contractor: Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland
Description: The building faces south and is a rectangular four story rusticated sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a balcony at the second story. Above is a pediment at the fourth story with the Statue of Justice at the top. There are arched windows. On the center of the roof is a tall octagonal dome.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Pultney ( Shadyside ) in 1801. The second courthouse was a log structure built in St. Clairsville in 1805. The third courthouse was built by William Brown in 1815.
S – Monroe County
Photos taken 2011