Adams County is named for John Adams, who was the second President of the United States.
Created: April 1, 1820
West Union 1807 – present
County Courthouse – West Union
Location: 110 West Main Street / North Market Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Greek Revival and Federal
Architect: T S Murray & Company
Contractor: James Skene & Sons Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a portico with four square brick pillars rising to a pediment. On the roof is a square clock tower with green colored dome. An addition was added on the north side in 1973 to 1974. The architect was Hayes, Donaldson, Wittenmyer & Partners and the contractor was Don King Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Thomas Metcalf in 1815. The second courthouse was built by Joseph Shinn in 1876 and was destroyed by fire in 1910. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $50,000.
E – Scioto County
W – Brown County
Photos taken 2011