Williams County is named for Erastus Appelman Williams of Bismarck, North Dakota (1850-1930), an outstanding figure in the political history of the Dakota Territory and North Dakota who served during ten legislative sessions.
Created: November 30, 1891
Williston 1891 – present
County Courthouse – Williston
Location: 205 East Broadway / 2nd Avenue East
Built: 1953 – 1954
Architect: William Kurke and Associates of Fargo
Contractor: Johson-Gillander of Grand Forks
Description: The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The first story is faced with a rose marble stone and the upper part is a white colored polished stone. At the south front, the entrance is towards the west side and has narrow windows divided by protruding dividers on the second and third stories. An addition was constructed on the east side.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Charles E Bell and John N Kent and built by Lease & Richards in 1899.
N – Divide County
S – McKenzie County
W – Roosevelt County, Montana
Old Red Brick Courthouse
Photos taken 2007 and 2009