Stutsman County is named for Enos Stutsman of Yankton, South Dakota and Pembina, North Dakota ( 1826-1874 ), who was a powerful political leader in the early days of the Dakota Territory despite being severely handicapped with badly deformed legs.
Created: January 4, 1873
Jamestown 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Jamestown
Location: 511 2nd Avenue Southeast / 6th Street Southeast
Built: 1981 – 1982
Architect: Dura and Associates
Contractor: Moline Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and glass structure. Landscaped grounds surround the building and the old courthouse at the northeast corner of the grounds. The building juts out with sharp angles. There are no windows but large dark glass sections are along the east entrance. The roof line is flat. The second story has two courtrooms along the south side.
Old County Courthouse – Jamestown
Location: 504 3rd Avenue Southeast / 5th Street Southeast
Built: 1882 – 1883
Style: Gothic Revival
Architect: Henry C Koch of Milwaukee
Contractor: Edward D Lathrop of Lathrop and Brackett
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. At the northeast corner is a high square brick tower with steep roof. The building has an ashlar granite foundation. Along the sides are projecting sections with peaked roof and circular window on the third story. The roof is hipped. In 1926, a west wing was constructed. The architect was Gilbert R Horton of Jamestown.
Note: The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in North Dakota. In 1904 to 1905, a sheriff’s residence was constructed on the south side of the courthouse.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Stutsman County Courthouse and Sheriff’s Residence / Jail
W – Kidder County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2007, 2010 and 2018