Stark County is named for George Stark, who was vice president of the Northern Pacific Railroad from 1875 to 1879.
Created: February 10, 1879
Dickinson 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Dickinson
Location: 51 3rd Street East / Sims Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: William F Kurke of Fargo
Contractor: S W Jonason and Company of Aberdeen, South Dakota
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored Hebron face brick Art Deco style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front is faced with gray-white colored Indiana limestone which extends up to the roof. The windows are vertical. The low one story east and west wings extend from the building. The roof line is flat. In 2015 to 2017, an addition was constructed on the north side. The architect was JLG Architects and the contractor was Scull Construction.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1886. The cost of construction of the 2017 addition was $6,500,000.
W – Billings County
Photos taken 2007 and 2009