Sioux County is named for the Sioux Native American tribe who reside in the region.
Created: September 3, 1914
Fort Yates 1915 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Yates
Location: 303 2nd Avenue / Belden Street
Built: 1980 – 1981
Architect: Don D Jiran of Bismarck
Contractor: Anderson Guthrie & Carlson of Bismarck
Description:The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the tow, The east front of the rectangular building has a recessed entrance and windows. The south side is also recessed. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by Adam Ostrum in 1922. The Standing Rock Indian Reservation Administration is also located here.
See: The architect, Don D Jiran, also designed the courthouse in Grant County.
E – Emmons County
S – Corson County, South Dakota
Standing Rock Indian Reservation Administration
Photos taken 2009