Sheridan County is named for General Phillip Henry Sheridan, who was an American Civil War hero.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Wells County
W – McLean County
Created: December 4, 1908
McClusky 1909 – present
County Courthouse – McClusky
Location: 215 2nd Street East / Avenue B East
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Ira L Rush of Minot
Contractor: P H Schwarts
Description: The building faces west and is a three story concrete and reinforced steel structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of McClusky and has a projecting center section with the entrance at the center of the first story. The courtroom has two overhead lights which show some Moderne influence. Behind the judge’s bench is a painting of the idealized character Justice. The building is 52 feet by 88 feet and was a Works Project Administration project using local labor and trades. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court of the South Central Judicial District.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Sheridan County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1909 and McClusky was selected as the county seat in 1909. The city of McClusky furnished a building, rent free, on Main Street for a temporary first courthouse until the new courthouse was built. The second courthouse was built in 1909 to 1910. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1938 to 1939 at a cost of $88,260.
County Courthouse - McClusky
Picture 1909 County Courthouses
Photos taken 2009 and 2012