Sargent County is named for H E Sargent, general manager of the Northern Pacific Railroad and who was interested in the development of the agricultural interests of the Red River Valley.
Created: April 9, 1873
Milnor 1883 – 1884
Forman 1884 – present
County Courthouse – Forman
Location: 355 Main Street South / Court Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival and Beaux Arts
Architect: Buechner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: A C Thomas
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a projecting east portico with two large columns rising to the pediment at the roof line. The base of the building is brown colored brick. Rectangular windows throughout have sandstone sills and second floor windows have sandstone heads. The area between windows of the first and second floors is embellished with rectangular and lozenge-shaped corbeling. The building has octagonal dome in the center and inside the dome are four separate paintings depicting various themes of the county. In 1997 the renowned artist Del Iron was commissioned to recreate the murals. The skylight of geometric stained glass is naturally illuminated. Pink terrazzo and pink marble floors remain on the first floor and the main entry area. The courtroom is located at the southwest corner of the second story. In 1998, an addition was constructed on the west side. The architect was Les Bjore of Battle Lake, Minnesota.
See: The architect Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
N – Ransom County
E – Richland County
S – Marshall County, South Dakota
W – Dickey County
Photos taken 2006, 2009 and 2018