Ransom County is named for General Thomas Edward Greenfield Ransom (1834 – 1864), who died for the Union in the Civil War.
Created: January 4, 1873
Lisbon 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Lisbon
Location: 204 5th Avenue West / Elm Street
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Ira L Rush of Minot
Contractor: H L Stavn Company of Minot
Description: The building faces south and is three story gray colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south center portico rises above the entrance to the third story with carved stone at the top. The west and east ends of the building are recessed. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the north side of the third story.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1887.
E – Richland County
S – Sargent County
W – LaMoure County
Photos taken 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2018