Pembina County is derived from the Chippewa Native American term for high bush cranberry, which grew in abundance along the Pembina River.
Created: January 9 1867
Pembina 1867 – 1911
Cavalier 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Cavalier
Location: 301 Dakota Street West / Court House Drive
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Buechner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: Rowles & Bailey of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Description: The building faces north and is a two story rectangular buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The projecting north front has stone steps with a glass entrance rising to the second level. There are two stone columns rising above the entrance to a stone parapet with two stone eagles and a statue of “Justice” holding the legal scale in her left hand and the sword of justice in her right hand. The building rests on a stone basement and the roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building has a functioning rotunda skylight and the attendant murals and stencil treatments. The vaulted skylight springs from interior pilasters at the level of the second story ceiling. Wainscoting, stairs, and staircase are marble, and all floors are terrazzo. On the south side of the building is the old Sheriff Residence and the County Building.
See: The architect, Buechner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota, also designed courthouses in Minnesota in Goodhue County, Jackson County and Wilkin County and in North Dakota in Dickey County, Divide County, Grand Forks County, McHenry County, McIntosh County, Mountrail County, Pierce County, Richland County, Sargent County and Traill County.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story building built in Pembina in 1881.
N – Manitoba, Canada
E – Kittson County, Minnesota
S – Walsh County
W – Cavalier County
Photos taken 2006, 2008, 2010, 2013 and 2018