Morton County

US States / N / North Dakota / Morton County
0121U09

Morton County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry Throck  Morton ( 1823-1877 ), who was governor of Indiana during the Civil War and a United States Senator.

 

Created:  January 8, 1873

County Seat:  

Mandan  1881 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mandan

 

Location:  210 2nd Avenue Northwest / 1st Street Northwest

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Foss and Company Architects

Contractor:  John W Larson

 

Description:  The building faces west and  is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. There is a two story wing on the west side with the main entrance along the south side. The three story building on the east side extends north and south. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1997 to 1998. The architect was Al Fitterer of Mandan and the contractor was Associated Builders.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by Buechner & Orth and constructed in 1885. The building was destroyed by fire in 1941.

 

County Administration – Mandan

 

0118u09

 

Location:  210 2nd Avenue Northwest / 1st Street Northwest

Built:  1990 – 1992

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Al Fitterre of Mandan

Contractor:  Bailey Construction, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a reddish colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The roof line is flat. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Mercer County and Oliver County

E – Burleigh County and Emmonds County

S – Sioux County and Grant County

W – Stark County

    

 

 

0122u09

County Courthouse

 

 

0124u09

 

 

0125u09

 

 

0126u09

 

 

0127u09

 

 

0123u09

 

 

0129u09

 

 

0130u09

County Administration

 

 

0119u09

 

 

0120u09

Photos taken 2007 and 2009