McLean County

US States / N / North Dakota / McLean County
McLean

McLean County is named for John A McLean of Bismarck ( 1849–1916 ), a pominent merchant and the first mayor of Bismarck. 

    

Created:  March 8, 1883

County Seat:  

Washburn  1883 – present

 

Former County Courthouse – Washburn

 

Location:  712 5th Avenue / 7th Street

Built:  1907 – 1908

Style:   Romanesque / Federal

Architect:  Hancock Brothers

Contractor:  T F Powers

 

Description:  The building faced south and was a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of the city. The south front had a high central square brick tower rising from the entrance to the gabled roof. The building was constructed in two stages. The second part of the building was constructed in 1917. The architect was Hancock Brothers and the contractor was Andrew Person. In 1963, a modern addition was built on the west side. The jail was constructed by Pauley Jail Construction Company.

 

 Note:  Voters had approved a new courthouse in November 2010 and demolition of the old courthouse and its 1963 addition. The building was razed in November 2013.

 

County Courthouse – Washburn

 

2724c13

 

Location:  712 5th Avenue / 7th Street

Built:  2011 – 2013

Style:   Modern

Architect:  Al Fitterer of Mandan

Contractor:  Capital City Construction Inc. of Bismarck

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of the city and backs into a slight slope. The south front has a large central glass section. On the west side is a four story section. The roof line is flat.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was razed in 2013 providing a landscaped area along the south side of the new courthouse. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $4,500,000.

 

Old County Courthouse – Washburn

 

0024c15

 

Location:  612 Main Street / 7th Street

Built:  1905 – 1906

Style:   Georgian Revival

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story wood frame  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has clapboard siding. The windows are one-over-one double hung with wooden frames. The roof is pitched.  The building was used as a courthouse from 1905 to 1915.

 

 See:  National Register of Historic Places – Former McLean County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Mountrail CountyWard County and McHenry County

E – Sheridan County and Burleigh County

S – Burleigh County, Oliver County and Mercer County

W – Mercer CountyDunn County and Mountrail County

 

 

 

010o12

Former County Courthouse

 

 

011o12

 

 

012o12

 

 

2722c13

Former County Courthouse / County Courthouse

 

 

2725c13

 

 

2727c13

 

 

2729c13

 

 

2730c13

 

 

2732c13

 

 

2734c13

 

 

2733c13

 

 

2735c13

County Courthouses in 2013

 

 

0012c15

County Courthouse in 2015

 

 

0023c15

Old County Courthouse

 

 

0025c15

 

 

0026c15

 

 

0028c15

 

 

0030c15

Photos taken 2006, 2013 and 2015