McKenzie County is named for Alexander McKenzie of Bismarck, North Dakota ( 1851-1922 ), credited with helping to engineer the removal of the capital of the Dakota Territory from Yankton, South Dakota to Bismarck, and a political leader.
Created: May 24, 1901
Alexander 1905 – 1907
Schafer 1907 – 1941
Watford City 1941 – present
County Courthouse – Watford City
Location: 201 5th Street Northwest / 2nd Avenue Southeast
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Kielhack & Fougner of Minot
Contractor: F & J Construction of Dickenson
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red-brown colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Along the east front are white colored vertical dividers. The east front has a small portico of red colored brick. The roof line is flat.
Note: A courthouse was built in Schafer in 1906. In 1941, an old hospital was converted to serve as the courthouse in Watford City.
N – Williams County
Photos taken 2007