McHenry County is named for James McHenry, an early settler of Vermillion, South Dakota.
Created: January 4, 1873
Towner 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Towner
Location: 407 Main Street South / 4th Avenue Southeast
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Buechner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota
Contractor: Alex Nelson
Description: The building faces west and is a two story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city .On the center of the roof is an hexagonal silver colored dome. The west front has four large stone columns supporting the Greek style portico. Silver colored trim surrounds the extended roof line. In the interior is a rotunda beneath the dome.
See: The architect Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
N – Bottineau County
E – Pierce County
Photos taken 2007 and 2016