Logan County is named for John A Logan, who was a Civil War general and United States Senator from Illinois, and who lived from 1826 to 1886.
Created: January 4, 1873
Napoleon 1899 – present
County Courthouse – Napoleon
Location: 301 Broadway / Avenue B East
Built: 1924 – 1925
Style: Federalist Revival
Architect: E A Moline
Contractor: Van Horn & Ritterbush
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city and has the entrance on the south side of the west front. There is stone trim at the windows, and there is a horizontal band between the first and second stories. The building has a hipped roof. The building was originally a store and was converted in 1924. In 1929 an “L” shaped addition was added. The building was originally a “U” shape and in 1937, an addition filled in the court yard space. A further change was made in 1978.
See: The other Federalist Revival style courthouse in North Dakota is located in Golden Valley County.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Herman Hardt in 1901. The building was enlarged in 1921.
E – LaMoure County
S – McIntosh County
W – Emmons County
Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2016