Kidder County

US States / N / North Dakota / Kidder County
Kidder

Kidder County is named for Jefferson Parrish Kidder ( 1816-1882 ), an 1858 settler in what became southeastern Dakota and who served as a delegate to Congress from Dakota from 1875 to 1879, and as an  associate justice of the territorial supreme court during 1865-1875 and 1879-1883.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sheridan County and Wells County

E – Stutsman County

S – Logan County and Emmons County

W – Burleigh County

                     

Created: January 4, 1873                       Map of North Dakota highlighting Kidder County

County Seat: 

Steele  1881 – present

 

County Courthouse – Steele

 

Location:  120 East Broadway / Mitchell Avenue North

Built:  1883 – 1884

Style:  Federalist

Architect:  Wilbur F Steele

Contractor: Wilbur F Steele

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Steele.  The exterior exhibits several of its historic design features brackets, original arches over windows, the front door with transom and sidelights, brick piers and corbelling at the cornice. The building has a protruding brick entrance on the south side. The roof is hipped with two dormers. The interior retains many more of its character-giving features. Oak is liberally used in the baseboards, wainscoting, and stairs. The ceilings retain their original height and pressed metal. Transoms light offices on the main story. The prominent stairway ascends to the second story without enclosure. The courtroom has the historic electrical light fixtures. The building houses the County District Court of the Southeast Judicial District. In 1913, the third story was removed and an addition was constructed on the east side. The architect was Hancock Brothers and the contractor was George M Canning. An addition was constructed in 1981.

 

Note:  The courthouse has served as a courthouse longer than any other in North Dakota. The building was constructed by Wilbur F Steele for use as a hotel and then for use as the State Capitol. The building became the Court House on April 21, 1885. The oldest former courthouse is lovated in Stutsman County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Kidder County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Steele was selected as the county seat in 1881 when the county was organized. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1883 to 1884 at a cost of $25,000.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Steele

 

0056u09

 

Location:  120 East Broadway / Mitchell Avenue North

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Anderon, Wade, Barsness & Walter

Contractor: Froeschle Sons, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the east side of the courthouse in the center of Steele. The south side entrance is recessed and the windows are horizontal. The lower part of the building is red colored brick and the upper one-third is cream colored concrete. The roof line is flat. 

 

 

0047u09

County Courthouse – Steele

 

 

0048u09

 

 

0049u09

 

 

0050u09

 

 

0051u09

 

 

0052u09

 

 

2179nm16

 

 

2180nm16

 

 

2181nm16

 

 

2182nm16

 

 

2184nm16

 

 

2185nm16

 

 

2186nm16

Picture 1884 County Courthouse

 

 

0053u09

 

 

0054u09

 

 

0055u09

County Courthouse Annex – Steele

 

 

2188nm16

 

 

2189nm16

 

 

2190nm16

Photos taken 2006, 2009 and 2016