Burleigh County is named for Walter Atwood Burleigh ( 1820-1896 ), a physician, attorney and railway contractor who served as Indian agent, delegate to Congress from the Dakota Territory and legislator.
Created: January 4, 1873
Bismarck 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Bismarck
Location: 514 East Thayer Avenue / North 5th Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Ira L Rush of Minot
Contractor: Redinger & Hanson
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored Indiana limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and Indiana limestone was used in the construction. The base of the building is pink colored granite. Aluminum spandrals emphasize the windows and the stairway rail. The roof line is flat. The murals in the vestibules depict the state and local history, and were the work of local artist Cell Gannon. On the north side is the Courthouse Annex which was built in 1960 and the second and third stories were completed in 1984. The third floor courtroom is finished with ornamental plaster beams, fluted Gotticino marble plasters and door trim. The wainscoting is of inlaid walnut and the furniture is ebony.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by P J Pauley & Brothers in 1880 to 1881. The building was enlarge in 1908. The architect was Arthur VanHorn and the contractor was W W Bowe.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Burleigh County Courthouse
E – Kidder County
S – Emmons County
Cornerstone 1880 Courthouse
Photos taken 2009, 2015 and 2016