Billings County is named for Frederick H Billings, who was a railroad executive.
Created: February 10, 1879
Medora 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Medora
Location: 495 4th Street / Pacific Avenue
Built: 1981 – 1982
Architect: Foss Associates Architects
Contractor: Western Dakota Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has square lines with several projects and vertical dividers. There are open spaces between the vertical brick and concrete pillars. The interior has a central atrium.
Old County Courthouse – Medora
Location: 475 4th Street / Pacific Avenue
Built: 1880 – 1881
Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored wood frame Federal style structure. The courthouse consisted of two wood houses in 1886 which were joined to form a single building. In 1913, the second story court room was built. The architect was John Tester. In 1950, a brick addition was added. The west front has a one story enclosed porch. The center section rises two stories with hipped roof. On the north and south are one story wings with the brick addition on the north side.
N – McKenzie County
S – Slope County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2009 ans 2013