Wilson County is named for Louis D Wilson, who was a state legislator from Edgecombe County and who died of fever at Veracruz during the Mexican-American War.
Created: February 13, 1855
Wilson 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Wilson
Location: 115 Nash Street East / Goldsboro Street East
Built: 1924 – 1925
Architect: Fred A Bishop
Contractor: William Preston Rose
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The southwest front has a large porch with six columns rising to a wide header. The central entrance is recessed and has a small pediment over the doorway. At the roof line is a large clock. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1968 to 1969.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1855. An addition was added in 1873. The architect was Edmund George Lind. The building was remodeled in 1902 and the architect was Charles Barrett. The building was demolished.
N – Nash County
W – Johnston County
Photos taken 2012