Vance County is named for Zebulon Baird Vance, who was a Confederate military officer in the American Civil War, twice Governor of North Carolina and a United States Senator.
Created: May 5, 1881
Henderson 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Henderson
Location: 156 Church Street / North Chestnut Street
Built: 1998 – 2000
Architect: Surapon Sujjavannnick. Architect of Apex
Contractor: R N Rouse & Company, Inc. of Goldsboro
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The southwest front has a large circular section with glass walls. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Henderson
Location: 122 Young Street / North Garnett Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: James R Thrower
Contractor: W R Kivett
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The southwest front has a porch with four columns rising to a pediment above the roof line. The building was remodeled in 1908. The architect was Frank Pierce Milburn of Milburn, Heister, and Company of Washington, DC and the contractor was D J Phipps. An addition was added on the west side.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
N – Mecklenburg County, Virginia
E – Warren County
S – Franklin County
W – Granville County
Photos taken 2012