Union County is named as a comprise after a dispute between local Whigs and Democrats as to whether the county should be named for Henry Clay or Andrew Jackson.
Created: December 12, 1842
Monroe 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Monroe
Location: 300 North Main Street / West Franklin Street
Built: 1886 – 1887
Style: Late Victorian
Architect: Thomas J Holt
Contractor: J T Hart
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a small portico at the front supported by four thin columns. Above the portico are three arched windows with pediment at the roof line, and with inset arched window on either side on the second story. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line on the main section of the building. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower, erected in 1903. An addition was constructed in 1926. The architect was Charles C Hook and the contractor was J M Tucker. The building was renovated in 1986. The architect was Marshall Pyne McDowell and the contractor was Harry A Godfrey.
County Judicial Center – Monroe
Location: 400 North Main Street / West Jefferson Street
Built: 2003 – 2004
Architect: Freeman White and Ware Bonsall Architects
Contractor: F N Thompson
Description: The building faces west and is a four story, brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of the courthouse in the center of the city. The south section is a pink color with recessed entrance and three banks of vertical windows on the west side. The north section is dark red with a five story tower with small windows.
County Administration – Monroe
Location: 500 North Main Street / West Jefferson Street
Built: 1971 – 1972
Architect: Hennings Durham & Richardson Inc.
Contractor: Kirkpatrick & Associates Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a nine story glass, brick and concrete structure. The building faces onto a plaza and is located to the north of the courthouse in the center of the city. . On the east side is the nine story tower and main building is three stories. White horizontal concrete bands run between the stories on the main section and white vertical bands divide the exterior walls. The building was renovated in 2005. The architect was Ramsay Burgin Smith Architects.
E – Anson County
W – Lancaster County, South Carolina
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2008