Surry County is named for Surrey County in England, which was the birthplace of Governor William Tyron.
Created: April 14, 1771
Rockford 1789 – 1853
Dobson 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Dobson
Location: 114 West Aikins Street / North Main Street
Built: 1916 – 1917
Architect: Harry Baton and Raleigh James Hughes
Contractor: Longest & Tessier Company out of Greensboro
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story. A wide band runs below the flat roof line. There are lower east and west wings which were added in 1971.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1855.
County Justice Center – Dobson
Location: 201 East Kapp Street / North Main Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Martin, Boal, Anthony & Johnson
Contractor: John S Clark Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff and red colored brick structure. The south front projects from the main building and id buff colored brick with a high vertical window on the second and third stories. The southwest and southeast corners are red brick. The roof line is flat. Along the west side of the building is a two story red colored brick County Office constructed in 1953.
Old County Courthouse – Rockford
Location: Old Rockford road / Willow Bend Way
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The roof is hipped. The building sits on a low hill and is a private residence. The building served as the courthouse until 1853 when the county seat was moved to Dobson.
E – Stokes County
Photos taken 2012