Rowan County

US States / N / North Carolina / Rowan County
Rowan -O

Rowan County is named for Matthew Rowan, who was the acting Governor of colonial North Carolina following the death of Governor Nathaniel Rice.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Davie County and Davidson County

E – Davidson County

S – Stanly County and Cabarrus County

W – Iredell County 

 

Created:  1753                                        Map of North Carolina highlighting Rowan County

County Seat: 

Salisbury  1753 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Salisbury  

 

Location:  202 West Main Street / Council Street

Built:  1854 – 1857

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  John W Conrad and John W Williams

Contractor:  John W Conrad and John W Williams

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Salisbury and is part of the Courthouse Complex. The front has a large portico with six large columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. There is a wide balcony on the second story. In the interior, an exceptionally wide hall goes straight through the middle of the building on the first story. The second story is given over entirely to the auditorium. The interior finish of the structure plaster over brick. The building is named as the Community Building and houses the Rowan County Museum. The building was renovated in 1972. The architect was Tennent & Tennent and the contractor was A L Jarrell & Sons.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Communities Building

 

County Courthouse – Salisbury  

 

0487nc12

 

Location:  210 North Main Street / West Liberty Street

Built:  1912 – 1914

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Anthony Ten Eyck Brown

Contractor:  King Lumber Company

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story gray colored stone and concrete  style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Salisbury and is part of the Courthouse Complex. The southeast front has a large porch with four columns rising to a wide header with peaked section behind. The building is tired with an east and west wing. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 19th Judicial District. The building was renovated in 1970. The architect was Teeent & Tennent & Klutz and the contractor was Wagoner Construction

 

County Justice Center – Salisbury  

 

0500nc12

 

Location:  210 North Main Street / West Liberty Street

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Salisbury and is part of the Courthouse Complex. The building forms an “L” shape with an east wing ans large north wing which extends west behind the courthouse. The building houses the Superior Court and District Court of the 19C Judicial District.

 

See:  The 19th Judicial District includes Cabarrus County, Hoke County, Moore County and Randolph County

 

History:  The county was created in 1753 and Salisbury was selected as the county seat. The first courts were held in private homes. The first courthouse was a wood frame structure constructed by John Whitsett in 1756 to 1757. The second courthouse was built in 1781 and not completed until 1800.  The third courthouse was built in 1854 to 1857 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1914. The County Justice Center was constructed.

 

County Administration Building – Salisbury  

 

0352c14

 

Location:  130 West Innes Street / North Church Street

Built:  1909 – 1911

Style:  Classical

Architect:  James K. Knox, of Washington, DC

Contractor:  George W Ashley & Company of Baltimore, Maryland.

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story white colored Italian marble and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Salisbury to the north of the courthouse. The front has five arches with recessed entrances on the first story. Four Corinthian columns rise from the second to the top of the third story. The Commissioners Chamber occupies the old courtroom on the second story. The building contains the county administration and is named as the J Newton Cohen Sr. Rowan County Administration Building. The building was constructed as the Post Office and Courthouse and was converted in 1995 to 1996. The architect was Ramsay, Burgin, Smith Architects of Salisbury and the contractor was Crescent Construction Company of Concord.

 

Note:  The County purchased the building in 1979 for the cost of $70,000.

     

 

0479nc12

Old County Courthouse – Salisbury

 

 

0481nc12

 

 

0482nc12

 

 

0483nc12

 

 

0484nc12

 

 

0486nc12

County Courthouse – Salisbury

 

 

0488nc12

 

 

0490nc12

 

 

0491nc12

 

 

0492nc12

 

 

0493nc12-2

 

 

0494nc12

 

 

0362c14

County Justice Center – Salisbury

 

 

0496nc12

 

 

0497nc12

 

 

0499nc12

 

 

0353c14

County Administration Building – Salisbury

 

 

0355c14_0

 

 

0354c14_0

 

 

0355c14

 

 

0356c14

 

 

0357c14

 

 

0358c14

 

 

0359c14

 

 

0360c14

Photos taken 2012 and 2014