Pender County

US States / N / North Carolina / Pender County

Pender County is named for William Dorsey Pender, who was a Confederate soldier mortally wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg in the American Civil War.


Created:  1875

County Seat: 

Cowan   1875 – 1877

Burgaw  1877 – present


County Courthouse – Burgaw


Location:  100 West Wright Street / South Walker Street

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Georgian Revival

Architect:  William Henley Dietrick of Raleigh

Contractor:  Goode Construction Company of Charlotte


Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building follows an H-plan with Flemish bond bricks and classical trim. The south front and north side have a one story extension with arch in the center and recessed doorway. The main building rises three stories to a white colored pediment. The windows on the second story have white trim. In the center, the building is two stories and is recessed with a two stage white colored cupola on the center of the roof. The building was renovated from 1986 to 1989. The architect was John Sawyer AIA and the contractor was Jacobs Builders Inc. Renovations were completed in 2010. The architect was Warren Wilson and the contractor was Port City Cuiklders Inc.


Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by Lyndon Swain and constructed by Jacob Allen in 1885.



N – Duplin County

E – Onslow County 

S – Atlantic Ocean, New Hanover County and Brunswick County

W – Columbus County, Bladen County and Sampson County































Photos taken 2008 and 2014