Orange County

US States / N / North Carolina / Orange County
Orange

Orange County is named for William V, Prince of Orange, who was the last Stadholder of the Dutch Republic in the Netherlands.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Caswell County and Person County

E – Durham County 

S – Chatham County

W – Alamance County

 

Created:  1752                                        Map of North Carolina highlighting Orange County

County Seat: 

Hillsborough  1752 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hillsborough  

 

Location:  106 Margaret Street / Churton Street

Built:  1952 – 1953

Style:  Modern Georgia Revival

Architect:  Archie Royal Davis

Contractor:  Coltrane-Graham

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hillsborough. The north front has a slightly projecting center section with wood framed entrance on the first story and wide pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is high white colored cupola with open section at the top. The roof is hipped. On the east and west sides are one story sections. On the south side there is a three story addition and the courtroom is located on the second story. A curved glass section connects with the County Administration Building on the east side. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 15th Judicial District.

 

Old County Courthouse – Hillsborough  

 

1422nc12

 

Location:  104 East King Street / Churton Street

Built:  1844 – 1845

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  John Berry

Contractor:  John Berry

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hillsborough on the north side of the courthouse. The north front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the roof is a square white colored wood cupola with clock and octagonal cupola above. The roof is hipped. In the interior, on the first story is the entrance hall with stair at either end rising to as landing. A central hall runs along the first story. Each room has a fireplace. The richly appoint courtroom is located at the north end of the second story. Since 1957, the building has served as a museum.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Orange County Courthouse

 

See:  The 15th Judicial District includes Alamance County and Chatham County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1752 and Hillsborough was selected as the county seat in 1754. The first court met at the home of John Gray on the Eno River and the home of James Watson. The first courthouse was erected in 1755. The second courthouse was a brick structure erected in 1778. The courthouse burned in 1789 and the third courthouse was a wood structure built in 1790. The fourth courthouse was built in 1844 to 1845 and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1952 to 1953.

 

County Administration Building – Hillsborough  

 

1435nc12

 

Location:  200 South Cameron Street / Margaret Street

Built:  1990 – 1992

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hakan/Corley & Associates, Inc.

Contractor:  C J Kern, Contractors, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building sits on a slope on landscaped grounds to the south of the courthouse in the center of Hillsborough.. The east front has a central entrance on the second story with white colored columns and rising to a peak at the roof line. The corners of the building project slightly. The roof is hipped.

 

 

1428nc12

County Courthouse – Hillsborough

 

 

1427nc12

 

 

1431nc12

 

 

1432nc12

 

 

1430nc12

 

 

1433nc12

 

 

1419nc12

Old County Courthouse – Hillsborough

 

 

1420nc12

 

 

1421nc12

 

 

1423nc12

 

 

1424nc12

 

 

1436nc12

County Administration Building - Hillsborough

 

 

1437nnc12

 

 

1438nc12

Photos taken 2012