Northampton County is named for James Compton, who was the 5th Earl of Northampton and a British peer and politician.
Jackson 1741 – present
County Courthouse – Jackson
Location: 104 West Jefferson Street / Atherton Street
Built: 1858 – 1859
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Henry King Burgwyn
Contractor: Azaiah J Riggs of Goldsboro
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has high wide steps to the large portico on the second and third stories. There are four white colored columns that rise to a wide pediment. The north section extends east and west with a section extending north. During construction, the supervisor was Samuel Calvert. The building was renovated in 1938 to 1939. The architect was A Mitchell Wooten and John J Rowland. The building was renovated in 1991. The architect was William Surley Vanis and the contractor was C D Williams Construction Company. The building was renovated in 2002 to 2003. The architect was Surapon Sujjanavich and the contractor was Mayhew Brothers, Inc.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $10,000. The building had been painted white and in 2002, the paint was removed to show the original red colored brick. The white story white colored building on the east side of the courthouse, houses the County Commissioners office.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Northampton County Courthouse
E – Hertford County
County Commissioners Office
Photos taken 2012