New Hanover County is named for the royal family of England who were members of the House of Hanover.
Wilmington 1729 – present
County Courthouse – Wilmington
Location: 24 North 3rd Street / Princess Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Queen Anne
Architect: A S Eichberg of Savannah, Georgia
Contractor: Valentine, Brown & Company of Brunswick, Georgia
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building has a high central brick tower with stone arch entrance and recessed doorway. At the top of the tower is an open area with balconies and above is a clock and steep green colored roof. On the southwest and northwest corners are square towers. White granite horizontal trim runs along the building. The building was renovated in 1988. The architect was Yelvert / Architect PA and the contractor was Security Builders, Inc.
Old County Courthouse Annex – Wilmington
Location: 316 Princess Street / North 4th Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Architect: Leslie Boney Sr.
Description: The building faces north and is a four story white colored granite structure. The building is located on the east side of the courthouse.
County Courthouse Annex – Wilmington
Location: 20 North 3rd Street / Market Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: B M S Architects ( Bruce F Bowman )
Contractor: Clancy & Theys Construction Company and McFadyen / O’Brien Consulting Engineers
Description: The building faces south and is a four story stone, brick and concrete structure. The building on each side has three high arches rising to the top of the third story. White colored stone towers are on each corner with small vertical windows on the fourth story. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse and is named as the William Allen Cobb Judicial Annex.
N – Pender County
E – Atlantic Ocean
S – Atlantic Ocean
W – Brunswick County
Photos taken 2008