Lee County

US States / N / North Carolina / Lee County
Lee -O

Lee County is named for Robert E Lee, who was general of the Confederate forces during the American Civil War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Chatham County

E – Harnett County

S – Harnett County and Moore County

W – Moore County

 

Created:  March 6, 1907                         Map of North Carolina highlighting Lee County

County Seat: 

Sanford  1907 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Sanford

 

Location:  1400 South Homer Boulevard / West Courtland Drive

Built:  1907 – 1908

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Charles McMillan

Contractor:  Local trades

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure.  The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds to the southeast of the center of Sanford on the north side of the courthouse. The northeast front has a large portico with six red colored Roman columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The center section of the building projects from the main building. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the first story has crossed halls with terrazzo floors. The staircase has turned balusters and a square newel. The courtroom is located on the second story. 

 

Note:  In 1908, the county received plans from H L Lewman of Louisville, Kentucky and bids from Pierce and Francis at $39,500, Rommel Brothers at $42,300, The Alfred Struck Company at $41,000 and Falls City Construction Company at $36,897. The commissioners decided to hire Charles McMillan as architect and supervisor. Local trades including Jonesboro Brick Company, D J Riddle Lumber and Sanford Manufacturing Company ( furniture ) supplied material and local labor used for construction.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Lee County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse – Sanford

 

1515nc12

 

Location:  1408 South Homer Boulevard / West Courtland Drive

Built:  1993 – 1995

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Fitchett Architecture of Southern Pines

Contractor:  Armada / Hoffler Construction Company of Virginia Beach, Virginia

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds to the south east of the center of Sanford. The northeast front has a wide portico with six red colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The central entrance is framed with a buff colored stone. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 11th Judicial District.

 

See:  The 11th Judicial District includes Harnett County and Johnston County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1907 and Sanford was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1908 to 1909 and is still standing. The second courthouse was constructed in 1993 to 1995.

 

 

1508nc12

Old County Courthouse – Sanford

 

 

1510nc12

 

 

1511nc12

 

 

1512nc12

 

 

1513nc12

 

 

1514nc12

 

 

1516nc12

County Courthouse – Sanford

 

 

1517nc12

 

 

1518nc12

 

 

0303c14

 

 

0304c14

 

 

1519nc12

 

 

0299c14

County Courthouse Bell

 

 

0300c14

 

 

0301c14

Photos taken 2012 and 2014