Hertford County is named for Francis Seymour-Conway, who was the 1st Marquess of Hertford and who was Lord of the Bedchamber to George II and George III of Great Britain.
Created: December 12, 1754
Winton 1754 – present
County Courthouse – Winton
Location: 701 North King Street / Cross Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: John J Rowland and James M Simpson
Contractor: Clifton R Heuay
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The center section has seven large vertical windows. The entrance is at the lower south wing. There is a lower north wing. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1875 and enlarged in 1905. The building was demolished when the present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $450,000.
New County Courthouse – Winton
Location: 119 Justice Drive / Parkers Fishery Road
Built: 2013 – 2015
Architect: Ware Bonsall Architecture of Charlotte
Contractor: A R Chesson Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds with the Government Center on the northeast side. The center section has a high portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the third story wing. A pediment rises above the third story. The roof line of the outer wings are flat.
Note: The cost of construction of the Courthouse and Government Center was $12,225,000.
County Administration – Winton
Location: 704 North King Street / Cross Street
Description: The building faces northwest and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The roof line is flat. At the rear of the building is a cemetery.
N – Southampton County, Virginia
S – Bertie County
Photos taken 2012