Halifax County is named for George Montague-Dunk, who was the 2nd Earl of Halifax, a British statesman and President of the Board of Trade.
Created: December 12, 1754
Halifax 1754 – present
Old County Courthouse – Halifax
Location: King Street / West Pennsylvania Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Oliver Duke Wheeler of Wheeler and Stern
Contractor: Oliver Duke Wheeler
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The southeast front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a dome with clock and green colored roof. During construction of the building, the supervisor was P M Pugh. An addition was built on the northwest side in 1965. The architect was Charles C Davis Jr. and the contractor was William K Neal.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1759 and the previous courthouse was built in 1847.
County Courthouse – Halifax
Location: 357 Ferrel Lane / South King Street
Built: 1981 – 1983
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: Ron W Webb
Contractor: J B McCaffrey of Durham and G W Francis & Associates of Raleigh.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The northwest front has a projecting center section on the second story with six arched openings and dormers on the sloped roof. The first story is below ground on the north side.
Photos taken 2012