Guilford County is named for Francis North, who was the 1st Earl of Guilford, a British politician and father of Prime Minister of Great Britain Frederick North.
Created: December 5, 1770
Greensboro 1771 – present
Old County Courthouse – Greensboro
Location: 301 West Market Square / South Eugene Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Harry Barton
Contractor: William P Ross
Description: The building faces south and is a four story gray colored stone and concrete structure. On the south and north sides are porticoes with three entrances on the first story, six columns on the second and third stories and a pediment at the top, The fourth story is recessed and a balustrade runs along the roof line of the third story. The roof line is flat.
County Courthouse – Greensboro
Location: 201 South Eugene Street / West Market Street
Built: 1970 – 1973
Architect: Eduardo Catalano and Peter Sugar
Contractor: Deborah Forsman.
Description: The building faces east and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The east front has a central entrance on the second story and recessed walls with glass panels. There are vertical pillars and a wide section below the flat roof line. The building was renovated and the architect was J Hyatt Hammond & Associates.
County Courthouse – High Point
Location: 505 Green Drive / South Centennial Street
Built: 1988 – 1990
Architect: W F Freeman Associates and Robert E Earnsheart
Contractor: J H Allen Incorporated of Asheboro.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story white colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located in High Point which is south of Greensboro.
E – Alamance County
S – Randolph County
Photos taken 2012