Gates County is named for Horatio Gates, who was an American general during the American Revolutionary War at the Battle of Saratoga.
Created: April 14, 1778
Gatesville 1778 – present
County Courthouse – Gatesville
Location: 202 Court Street / New Ferry Road
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: W D Boone Jr.
Contractor: Wimco Corporation
Description: The building faces north and is a one story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a central entrance with dark glass panels. On the west side is a higher section with a recessed stone wall. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Gatesville
Location: 200 Court Street / New Ferry Road
Built: 1956 – 1957
Architect: Owen F Smith
Contractor: D J Tinkham
Description: The building faces north and is a one story light red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a central recessed entrance. The roof is hipped. The courthouse is along the west side of the building.
Old County Courthouse – Gatesville
Location: 115 Court Street / Church Street
Built: 1835 – 1836
Architect: Dr. John B Baker
Contractor: Dr. John B Baker
Description: The building faces south and is a two story yellow colored stuccoed brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the north across from the courthouse. In 1904, the building was covered with stucco.The south front has a central projecting section with entrance on the first story and a small wrought iron balcony on the second story. At the peak is a large fanlight. Wings extend east and west with a hipped roof and centered square wood cupola with steep roof. In 1940, an addition was constructed on the north side giving the building an “H” shape. The building is now used as a library. In 2019, the windows were replaced.
Note: The first courthouse and prison were built in Gatesville in 1780. The second courthouse was built in 1836 and is still standing. The Court ordered the clerk William Daughtry to supervise the construction of the courthouse. Dr. John B Baker, who donated the land and who was a large land owner in the county, was assisted in the construction by James R Riddick, William B Stephens and Henry Gilliam.
See: The only other Federal style courthouse is located in Perquimans County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Gates County Courthouse
N – Suffolk, Virginia
W – Hertford County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012