Gaston County is named for William Gaston, who was a United States Congressman, justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court and who lived from 1778 to 1844.
Created: December 21, 1846
Dallas 1848 – 1911
Gastonia 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Gastonia
Location: 325 North Marietta Street / West Long Street
Built: 1996 – 1998
Architect: Stewart Cooper Newell Architects
Contractor: Ellis Don Construction Ltd.
Description: The building faces east and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The building has a first story portico supported by concrete pillars rising to a blue glass roof. The building has a series on square windows divided by sold blue glass sections. At the southeast corner is a large one story section.
Old County Courthouse – Gastonia
Location: 181 South South Street / Court House Alley
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Milburn & Heister of Washington, DC
Contractor: George W Waring of Columbia
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The building has two large columns each rising on either side of the central entrance. An addition had been added to the west side.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
Old County Courthouse – Dallas
Location: 134 North Gaston Street / West Trade Street
Built: 1875 – 1876
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: A B Titman
Contractor: A B Titman
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored stuccoed brick structure. The building has staircase rising to the second story on either side of the entrance on the second story. The building was renovated inn 1868. The building is now the Dallas City Hall.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Dallas Historic District
N – Lincoln County
S – York County, South Carolina
W – Cleveland County
Photos taken 2008 and 2012