Edgecombe County is named for Richard Edgecombe, who was the 1st Baron Edgecombe and a Lord High Treasurer and Paymaster-General for Ireland.
Created: April 14, 1741
Tarboro 1741 – present
County Courthouse – Tarboro
Location: 301 St. Andrews Street / East Pitt Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Style: Modern Colonial Revival
Architect: Taylor and Crabtree of Nashville, Tennessee
Contractor: T A Loving & Company of Goldsboro
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The southwest front has a projecting central section with entrance on the first story and large window above on the second story with hipped roof at the top. On the center of the roof is a high square cupola. The green colored roof is sloped.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1850 and remodeled in 1919. The building was demolished.
County Administration – Tarboro
Location: 201 St. Andrews Street / East Granville Street
Description: The building faces southeast and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The green colored roof is sloped along the edge.
N – Halifax County
E – Martin County
S – Pitt County
Photos taken 2012