Davidson County is named for William Lee Davidson, was an American Revolutionary War general and who was mortally wounded at Cowan’s Ford.
Created: December 9, 1822
Lexington 1822 – present
Old County Courthouse – Lexington
Location: 2 South Main Street / Center Street
Built: 1857 – 1858
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William Ashley
Contractor: George Dudley
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story gray colored brick structure. The building is located on the square in the downtown. The southeast front has a large porch with six columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Above is a square white colored wood cupola with clock. The building was restored in 1867. The building is now the Davidson County Historical Museum.
Note: The courthouse is considered the finest constructed in the antebellum period. The courthouse interior was burned by Union troops during the Civil War in 1865 and rebuilt in 1867.
County Courthouse – Lexington
Location: 110 West Center Street / Vance Circle
Built: 1957 – 1958
Architect: Echols – Sparger & Associates
Contractor: Wagoner Construction Company.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story gray colored concrete structure. The southwest front has as a central recessed entrance on the second story. On the north side are vertical dividers and on the south side is a clock. The first story is entered on the north side. The roof line was flat.
N – Forsyth County
Photos taken 2012