Currituck County is named for the American Indian word for “wild geese” and rendered as “coratnk”.
Currituck 1760 – present
County Courthouse – Currituck
Location: 153 Courthouse Road / Caratoke Highway
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a red colored brick portico with balcony on the second story. The center section projects slightly from the main building and rises to a wide peak at the roof line. A horizontal belt runs between the first and second stories and along the roof line. The building was remodeled in 1897 and 1898 with the addition of the second story. The contractor was Saint Louis Art Metal Company. The building was remodeled in 1952. The architect was Leslie N Boney of Wilmington. In 1989, an elevator was installed. In 1998 and 1999, the building was expanded along the north and west sides. The architect was Cederquist Rodriguez Ripley Maddox and the contractor was Virtexco.
Note: To the west of the courthouse is the Old Jail constructed in 1820. The building is one of the oldest jails in North Carolina. The building is a three bay Jacobean brick two story rectangular structure. The brick walls are thirty-two inches thick.
County Justice Center – Currituck
Location: 2801 Caratoke Highway / Currituck Sound Road
Built: 1996 – 1998
Architect: Cederquist, Rodriguez, Ripley and Maddux of Chesapeake, Virginia
Contractor: W M Jordan Construction Company of Newport News, Virginia
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a portico with eight columns forming three arches. The roof is hipped.
E – Atlantic Ocean
S – Dare County
W – Camden County
Photos taken 2012