Caswell County

US States / N / North Carolina / Caswell County
Caswell -O

Caswell County is named for Richard Caswell, who was a member of the first Continental Congress and the first governor of North Carolina after the Declaration of Independence.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Danville, Virginia and Halifax County, Virginia

E – Person County 

S – Orange County and Alamance County

W – Rockingham County

 

Created:  April 8, 1777                           Map of North Carolina highlighting Caswell County

County Seat: 

Yanceyville  1777 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Yanceyville  

 

Location:  144 Courthouse Square / West Main St & North Avenue

Built:  1858 – 1861

Style:  Italian Romanesque

Architect:  William Percival

Contractor:  David McKnight of Greensboro

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story yellow colored stuccoed brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Yanceyville.  Each side has three rectangular openings on the first story and three arched openings on the second story. The roof overhangs and forms a semi-circle over center sections. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola. At the rear of the courthouse is the old two story red colored brick jail.

 

Note:  In 1861, the amount paid to William Percival as architect was $200, and the amount paid to David McKnight of Greensboro, as contractor and who was a mason by trade, was $25,000.

 

County Courthouse – Yanceyville  

 

0696nc12

 

Location:  139 East Church Street / North Avenue

Built:  1974 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Echols-Sparger & Associates of Marion, Virginia

Contractor:  John W Daniel & Company, Inc. of Danville, Virginia

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Yanceyville.  The south front has a central entrance on the second story. The vertical windows are narrow. The first story is below ground level. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The first court met at the home of Thomas Douglas in 1777 in Leasburg now in Person County. The first courthouse was erected in Leasburg shortly after. In 1792 the county was divided and the county seat was moved to Yanceyville where the second courthouse was erected. The third courthouse was designed and built by John Berry, a carpenter-builder from Hillsborough in 1831 to 1833 and was damaged by fire in 1857. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1858 to 1861 at a cost of $28,000. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1974 to 1975.

 

  

0686nc12

Old County Courthouse – Yanceyville

 

 

0687nc12

 

 

0688nc12

 

 

0690nc12

 

 

0691nc12

 

 

0685nc12

 

 

0693nc12

Old County Courthouse – Yanceyville

 

 

0695nc12

County Courthouse – Yanceyville

 

 

0697nc12

 

 

0698nc12

 

 

0699nc12

 

 

0700nc12

 

 

0701nc12

Photos taken 2012