Camden County

US States / N / North Carolina / Camden County
Camden

Camden County is named for Charles Pratt, who was the 1st Earl Camden and who opposed the taxation of the American colonies.

 

Created:  April 8, 1777

County Seat: 

Camden  1777 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Camden  

 

Location:  117 North Highway 343 / Highway 158

Built:  1847 – 1848

Style:  Greek Revival style

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The northeast front has a large portico with red colored brick pillars on the first story and four white colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. Stairs ascend on either side of the front. There are green colored shutters on the windows. The roof is hipped. The courthouse was renovated in 1960. The architect was Hagar Smith Design, PA and the contractor was Progressive Contracting Company, Inc. The building has a one story south wing and a one story north wing which is connected to the new courthouse.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was a wood structure built in 1782.The building burned in 1847. On the south side of the old courthouse is the two story red colored brick jail which was constructed in 1910 by Southwest Jail Builders Company and Stewart Jail Works Company.

 

County Courthouse – Camden  

 

0978nc12

 

Location:  117 North Highway 343 / Highway 158

Built:  1996 – 1997

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a one story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a one story portico. The roof is hipped. The building is connected to the old courthouse on the south side.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Suffolk, Virginia and Chesapeake, Virginia

E – Currituck County

S – Dare County

W – Pasquotank County

 

 

 

0974nc12

 

 

0975nc12

 

 

0976nc12

 

 

0979nc12

 

 

0980nc12

 

 

0982nc12

 

 

0973nc12

Photos taken 2012