Cabarrus County is named for Stephen Cabarrus, who was a member of the legislature and Speaker of the North Carolina House of Commons, and who lived from 1754 to 1808.
Created: November 15, 1792
Concord 1792 – present
Old County Courthouse – Concord
Location: 65 Union Street South / Barbrick Avenue
Built: 1875 – 1876
Style: Classical Revival, Italianate,and Second Empire
Architect: G S H Appleget
Contractor: F W Ahrens
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story brick and stucco structure. The building faces onto a small park. The south front projects from the main building with large arch at the first story entrance and two smaller side arches. The building rises to a pediment with a large square clock tower on the roof behind the pediment. The main building has a mansard roof with pothole windows. The brick contractor was Michael Maffitt. The building served as the courthouse until 1974. The new courthouses is located on the east side of the building.
County Courthouse – Concord
Location: 77 Union Street South / Corban Avenue SW
Built: 1973 – 1975
Architect: George A Griffin
Contractor: Cabarrus Construction
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building and has a eight concrete pillars across the front with a recesses glass and brick wall. The concrete pillars are also along the east and west sides.
County Administration – Concord
Location: 65 Church Street / Barbrick Avenue
Built: 1989 – 1990
Architect: Dennis Yates - Yates, Chritzberg and Hughes of Concord
Contractor: L P Cox Company of Sanford.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building has a semi-circular center section with two high brick pillars and recessed doorway and windows. Pink colored stone bands run vertical and horizontal across the exterior walls. The windows are grouped in four pane sections. The building is names as the Cabarrus County Governmental Center.
E – Stanly County
S – Union County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2008