Buncombe County is named for Edward Buncombe, who was a soldier during the American Revolutionary War and was captured at the Battle of Germantown.
Created: December 5, 1791
Asheville 1791 – present
County Courthouse – Asheville
Location: 60 Court Street / College Street
Built: 1926 – 1928
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Milburn, Heister & Company of Washington, DC
Contractor: The Angle-Blackford Company of Greensboro
Description: The building faces west and is a seventeen story brick, steel and concrete structure. The west front has a slightly projecting three story portico with four columns rising to a wide header. The building rises in tiers with a wide cornice above the third story, recessed west front and wide cornice above the sixth story and recessed center section. There are six columns rising four stories near the top of the building. The roof line is flat. On the east side of the building, a new addition is being constructed in 2012 to 2013.
Note: The interior lobby contains a sweeping marble staircase, bronze and glass screens, a coffered ceiling with ornate plasterwork and a mosaic tile floor that echoes the ceiling’s tones.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Kenneth McDowell and constructed by John A Wagner in 1903. The building was demolished. On the south side of the present courthouse stands the large ornate Asheville City Hall.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
N – Madison County
W – Haywood County
Photos taken 2012