Brunswick County

US States / N / North Carolina / Brunswick County
Brunswick

Brunswick County is named for the colonial port of Brunswick which is now in ruins which town was named for the Duchy of Brunswick-Luneburg at the time held by the British Kings of the House of Hanover.

 

Created:  January 30, 1764

County Seat: 

Brunswick                     1764 – 1779

Lockwood Folly River   1779 – 1808

Southport                      1808 – 1978

Bolivia                           1978 – present

 

County Courthouse – Bolivia

 

Location:  310 Government Center Drive / Old Ocean Highway East

Built:  2000 – 2001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Freeman White Inc. and Ware Bonsall Architects

Contractor:  Burnhill Contracting Company

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a three story concrete and stone  structure. The northeast front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a wide header above the recessed third story. The outside third story windows have small balconies. The base of the building is polished stone. The roof line is flat.

 

Old County Courthouse – Southport

 

1393sc08

 

Location:  201 East Moore Street / Davis Street

Built:  1844 – 1845

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  A J Robbins

Contractor:  W D Morrel

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story stone and cream colored stucco  structure. The south front has a central entrance with large one story porch. The building has a hipped roof with a small open bell tower. An addition was added on the north side of the building. The building was remodeled in 1922. The building serves as the Southport City Hall. Closeby is the old two story red colored brick jail.

 

Courthouses:

N – Pender County and New Hanover County

E – New Hanover County

S – Atlantic Ocean and Horry County, South Carolina

W – Columbus County 

 

 

1377sc08

 

 

1379sc08

 

 

1380sc08

 

 

1381sc08

 

 

1382sc08

 

 

1391sc08

 

 

1392sc08

 

 

1394sc08

 

 

1395sc08

 

 

1396sc08

 

 

1397sc08

Photos taken 2008