Bertie County

US States / N / North Carolina / Bertie County
Berie

Bertie County is named for James Bertie or Henry Bertie, who were two Lords Proprietor of colonial North Carolina.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Northampton County and Hertford County

E – Chowan County and Washington County

S – Martin County 

W – Halifax County and  Northampton County

 

Created:  August 2, 1722                       Map of North Carolina highlighting Bertie County

County Seat: 

St, Johns ( Herford County )  1722 – 1754

Wolfender                              1754 – 1766

Windsor                                  1766 – present

  

County Courthouse – Windsor  

 

Location:  106 Dundee Street / King Street

Built:  1887 – 1889

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  L Thrower

Contractor:  Theodore Ralph

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story light brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Windsor. The northeast front has a large portico with a large column on each side and two double columns in the center rising from the second story to the wide pediment with circular window at the roof line. The central entrance on the first story is arched. The second story has a large central window. On the roof is a hexagonal cupola with windows. An addition was added in 1906. The contractor was B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company. In 1941 another addition along the southwest side. The architect was George D Mizelle. Again in 1974 another addition was added which has a high white colored cupola with clock at the top. On the southwest side is the two story  Courthouse Annex.

 

History:  The first courthouse was erected at St. Johns ( Hertford County )  in 1724. The second courthouse was built at Wolfenden, two miles south of Windsor in 1754 when Hertford County was created. The county seat was moved to Windsor in 1766 and the third courthouse was built in Windsor in 1776. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1887 to 1889.

 

 

1065nc12

County Courthouse – Windsor

 

 

1069nnc12

 

 

1067nc12

 

 

1068nc12

 

 

1070nc12

 

 

1071nc12

 

 

x1_0

 

 

x_0

 

 

1072nnc12

 

 

1073nc12

 

 

1074nc12

Photos taken 2012