Alleghany County is named for the corruption of the Delaware Native American name for the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers and means “a fine stream”.
Sparta 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Sparta
Location: 12 South Main Street / Whitehead Street
Built: 1933 – 1934
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Harry Barton of Greensboro
Contractor: Fowler-Jones Lumber Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southwest front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. A horizontal band runs above the top of the second story windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Wheeler & Runge and was constructed by B F Smith Fire Proof Construction Company in 1910. The building was destroyed by fire in January 1933.
County Office Building – Sparta
Location: 90 South Main Street / Creek Street
Built: 1981 – 1982
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The recessed entrance is along the east side of the northeast front. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Sparta
Location: 348 South Main Street / Grandview Drive
Built: 2005 – 2006
Architect: Hemphill Associates, Inc. of Charlotte
Contractor: Browning Engineers of Charlotte
Description: The building faces north and is a two story concrete structure. The main entrance is on the second story of the north front. The building descends a slope on the south side. The roof line is flat. Plumbing was David N Shultz Associates and the electrical was K M Armstrong Associates Inc.
N – Grayson County, Virginia
E – Surry County
S – Wilkes County
W – Ashe County
Photos taken 2012