Alamance County is named for the Battle of Alamance, which was derived from the local Native American word meaning “blue clay” as found in the Great Alamance Creek.
Created: January 29, 1849
Graham 1849 – present
Old County Courthouse – Graham
Location: Public Square – South Main Street / Elm Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Harry Barton of Greensboro
Contractor: Northeastern Construction Company of Charlotte
Description: The building faces north and is a four story structure. The north front has a large portico with four large columns rising to a wide header with balustrade at the roof line. The recessed central entrance is framed with stone. A similar portico is on the south side. The building features terracotta stonework, dental tooth molding, and metal-masonry floors. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 2011. The architect was Roughton Nickelson DeLuca and the contractor was H M Kern Corporation.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $253,925.82.
County Criminal Courthouse – Graham
Location: 212 West Elm Street / South Maple Street
Built: 1992 – 1993
Architect: Moser Mayer Phoenix Associates of Greensboro
Contractor: L A Cox Company and P & H Services Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story stone, red brick, concrete and glass structure. The north front has stone facing with high vertical windows on the west side and a curved projecting section on the east side with pillars on the first story and the main entrance. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the Administration Building on the south side, which was constructed in 1974.
County Civil Courthouse – Graham
Location: 126 West Elm Street / South Maple Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Alley, Williams, Carman & King
Contractor: J M Dixon, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red-orange colored brick, concrete and glass structure. Known as the Courthouse Annex, the building was renovated in late 2009 and early 2010 and reopened in April 2010 as the Civil Courts Building. The west section is lower and has the entrance on the first story with glass above on the second story. The east section is three stories with narrow vertical windows on the north side. The roof line is flat.
N – Caswell County
E – Orange County
S – Chatham County
Photos taken 2012