Rockland County is named for the early settlers’ description of the terrain as “rocky land”.
Created: February 23, 1798
New City 1798 – present
County Courthouse – New City
Location: 1 South Main Street / Congers Road
Built: 1927 – 1929
Style: Beaux Arts / Art Deco
Architect: Dennison & Hirons
Contractor: Works Projects Administration using local labor and trades
Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored Indiana limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of New CIty. The east front has a recessed center section with three high rectangular opening with entrances on the first story. The north and south wings project. The roof line is flat.
Note: The original courthouse for Orange County was built in 1691 at Tappan. The building was moved to New City in 1774. Rockland County was created in 1798 and a new courthouse was built in 1827 and the old courthouse was demolished. In 1846 a fire proof courthouse was built. In 1873, a new courthouse was built.
W – Orange County
Photos taken 2014