Richmond County is named for Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond, who was the illegitimate son of King Charles II of England.
Created: February 23, 1683
Richmond Town 1683 – 1899
New York ( St. George ) 1898 – present
County Courthouse – St.George
Location: 26 Central Avenue / Hyatt Street
Built: 2004 – 2015
Architect: Ennead Architects of New York City
Contractor: Jacobs ( Project Manager ) and LERA ( structural )
Description: The building faces north and is a five story precast, copper, glass, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on a rise overlooking the downtown area. The building has four red colored towers and a white colored tower on the north side where a one story section extends from the main building. A large glass wall runs across the front. The roof line is flat and the building houses 14 courtrooms. The building is named as the Staten Island Courthouse and houses the office of the Thirteenth Judicial District.
Note: The cost of construction was $230,000,000.
Old County Courthouse – St. George
Location: 18 Richmond Terrace / Schuyler Street
Built: 1913 – 1919
Style: Roman Neo-Classical
Architect: Carrere and Hastings
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The L-shaped building is built on a hill sloping upwards from the harbor. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The northeast front has a large portico with six Corinthian columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The entrance is recessed. On the southwest side, a wing extends southeast. The roof is hipped.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1837 at Richmond Town.
Judicial Center – St.George
Location: 126 Stuyvesant Place / Hyatt Street
Built: 1958 – 1961
Description: The building faces east and is a ten story glass, steel and concrete structure. The building is named as the Mark A Costantino Judicial Center.
N – Hudson County, New Jersey
E – Kings County
Photos taken 2017