Putnam County is named for Israel Putnam, who was an American Revolutionary War general
Created: June 12, 1812
Carmel 1812 – present
Old County Courthouse – Carmel
Location: 40 Gleneida Avenue / Highway 301
Built: 1814 – 1815
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: James Townsend
Contractor: James Townsend
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Carmel. The northwest front has a large portico with four large white colored Corinthian columns. With pediment at the roof line. The central entrance is recessed. The windows have green colored shutters and the foundation is stone. The roof is hipped with a square white colored cupola. In 1847, the portico and columns were added. Jail wings were added in 1855 and 1907. The building was restored in 1925 to 1927 after a fire in 1924 destroyed the upper story. The contractor was George D Campbell. The building now houses county offices.
Note: The original cost of construction was $4000. The courthouse is the second oldest courthouse in New York after the Fulton County courthouse.
County Courthouse – Carmel
Location: 20 County Center Avenue / Highway 301
Built: 2005 – 2008
Architect: Preiss / Breismeister Architects
Contractor: Worth Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Carmel to the south of the old courthouse. The first story has white colored concrete siding. The west front has a large octagonal tower with arched entrance on the first story and large vertical window above. The windows are vertical and the green colored roof is hipped.
N – Dutchess County
E – Fairfield County, Connecticut
W – Orange County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2014