Orange County

US States / N / New York / Orange County
1903NE14

Orange County is named for William of Orange-Nassau, who was King William III of England.

 

Created:  November 1, 1683

 

County Seat:

Orangetown  1703 – 1737

Goshen         1737 – present

 

County Courthouse – Goshen

 

Location:  285 Main Street / Scotchtown Road

Built:  1963 – 1971

Style:  Brutalist

Architect:  Paul Rudolph

Contractor:  Corbeau-Newman Construction Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass style structure. The south section is comprised of a series of cubes projecting randomly. The main entrance is along the east side with a courtyard enclosed on three sides. The building was renovated and the architect was Gwathmey Siegel. The building was razed in 2015.

 

 Note:  Other companies involved with the construction were William Bedford and James Brown as technical architects, Lev Zetlin as structural engineer, Cambridge Acoustical Consultants as acoustic engineer and Caretsky and Associates as electrical engineer.

 

County Courthouse Addition – Goshen

 

2050nj17

 

Location:  285 Main Street / Scotchtown Road

Built:  1997 – 1999

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting north section with glass panel entrance area, and extended canopy. The first story windows are vertical and narrow on the first story. The building extends eastwards along the north side of the courthouse. The roof line is flat.

 

County Courthouse Addition – Goshen

 

2037nj17

 

Location:  285 Main Street / Scotchtown Road

Built:  2015 – 2017

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Perkins Eastman

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and  is a three story gray colored siding, glass and concrete structure. The building is located along the west side of the original courthouse and on the south side of the 1997 addition. The “L” shaped structure envelopes the original courthouse. The west front has a projecting canopy at the entrance which has recessed glass walls. The first and second story windows are horizontal. The third story has large blue tinted windows. 

 

Old County Courthouse – Goshen

 

1914ne14

 

Location:  101 Main Street / Court Lane

Built:  1841 – 1842

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Thornton MacNess Niven of Newburgh

Contractor:  Thornton MacNess Niven of Newburgh

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story yellow colored brick structure. The southeast front of the rectangular building has a portico with six white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof. The windows has green colored shutters.  The building is a twin with the Newburgh Courthouse. The building is connected to the two story red colored brick Treasurer’s office along the south side.

 

Old County Courthouse – Newburgh

 

1803ne14

 

Location:  123 Grand Street / 3rd Street

Built:  1841 – 1842

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Thornton MacNess Niven of Newburgh

Contractor:  Thornton MacNess Niven of Newburgh

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story yellow colored brick structure. The east front has a large portico with six white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof. The building is rectangular with a wide horizontal band below the roof line. On the roof is a high octagonal open cupola. On the west side is a two story yellow colored brick addition The building was closed in 1970. The building is a twin with the Goshen Courthouse.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Sullivan County and Ulster County

E – Dutchess County, Putnam County and Westchester County

S – Rockland County and Passaic County, New Jersey

W – Sussex County, New Jersey and Pike County, Pennsylvannia

 

 

 

1902ne14

 

 

1904ne14

 

 

1905ne14

 

 

1906ne14

 

 

1907ne14

 

 

1908ne14

 

 

1909ne14

 

 

1910ne14

 

 

2044nj17

 

 

2045nj17

 

 

2046nj17

 

 

2049nj17

 

 

2038nj17

 

 

2031nj17

 

 

2030nj17

 

 

2039nj17

 

 

2040nj17

 

 

1913ne14

 

 

1915ne14

 

 

1917ne14

 

 

1916ne14

 

 

1920ne14

 

 

1918ne14

 

 

1801ne14

 

 

1806ne14

 

 

1804ne14

 

 

1805ne14

 

 

1807ne14

 

 

1808ne14

Photos taken 2014 and 2017